|The COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated the risks for Care Leavers across the globe. A group of organizations comprising of Udayan Care (India), SOS Children’s Villages, University of Hildesheim (Germany), Kinderperspectief (Netherlands) and Care Leavers Networks, namely, Generation never Give-up (Sri Lanka), Care Leavers Association and Network (India), Zimbabwe Care Leavers Network (Zimbabwe) and the Latin American Care Leavers Network, have come together to convene an International Care Leavers Convention, aimed at connecting Care Leavers internationally and enabling their coming together on a common and safe platform to learn, share and exchange their experiences, knowledge and challenges. |
The last one month has seen an interesting set of pre-convention events and there is one more planned for Nov 21, 2020, which brings poster presentations on Leaving Care by practitioners and care leavers. The best three posters will be awarded along with one best poster as voted by the audience.
After these hugely successful pre-events that saw the panel discussion on Power of Networks, an interactive learning session on Power of Videos and presentation on Contribution of Research on Care Leaving and the above poster contest presentation, the International Care Leavers Convention comes to you in the Virtual format from November 23-25, 2020.
The three days tightly packed diverse agenda will be held from 13:30 IST – 17:00 IST, (a time suitable for many countries across the world). The last day has a Special Café session, which is a summary brief, planned from 22:30-23:30 IST for those participants for whom the main convention timing is inconvenient.
Together, Civil Society Organizations, International Agencies, Care Leavers and representatives from organizations supporting Care Leavers will discuss the realities of Leaving Care and action plans that enable Care Leavers to advocate and amplify their voices and to be a part of the decision making that impact their lives.
Learn from global experts:
- Prof. Mike Stein, Emeritus Professor, Department of Social Policy and Social Work, University of York, UK
- Mr. Patrick Reason, FICE, Brazil
- Mr. Terry Dignam, CEO, EPIC, Ireland
- Prof. Emmanuel Grupper, Prof. for Child & Youth Care, Ono Academic College, Israel
- Dr Delia Pop, Global Care Reform Specialist International
- Ms. Susan Barton, Founder – Director, Lighthouse Foundation, Australia
- Mr. Mark Riddell, National Implementation Advisor, Dept. of Education, UK
- Ms. Amanda Bissex, Child Protection Regional Advisor, UNICEF Regional Office, South Asia
- Mr. Douglas Ragan, Programme Management Officer, Specialist-Youth and Children, Human Rights and Social Inclusion, UNHABITAT, Canada
- Ms. Susana Puerto, Senior Youth Employment Specialist, Employment Policy Department, International Labour Organization, Switzerland
- And many more… including Care Leavers from different countries.
Designed as enriching and engaging panels with the direct voices of care leavers, policy makers, researchers and practitioners, the deliberations bring to the fore, issues that are relevant to Leaving Care.
The event platform has much more to explore and learn from:
- Listen to the sessions live/recorded in Auditorium
- Posters Display in a specially created Exhibition Hall
- Videos shared by care leavers and practitioners
- Network with other participants from over 68 countries in the Networking Lounge
- Booths to know about the organisers, technical partners and care leavers networks
- Selfie Corner to keep memories of the Convention with you and share on Social Media
- Download relevant content from the Resource Centre and keep in your Briefcase
- And if you get lost…….you will always have your friendly Helpdesk to ask any questions
Make sure that everyone who is concerned about Leaving Care is there! The content and the platform would remain available to all registered participants for 30 days post the convention dates.
You must register to be able to access the above features of the Convention Platform: http://www.careleaversconvention.udayancare.in/index.php/register/