Care Leavers as Parents Thematic Interest Group
- Dr Louise Roberts (Cardiff University, United Kingdom)
- Dr Tehila Refaeli (Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel)
Care leavers’ transition to parenthood is one of the most challenging transitions in their life. Having limited support during this time seems to increase the difficulties they face. However, it seems that limited attention has been given to this issue in the research.
The purpose of this thematic interest group within INTRAC is to bring together researchers with a research interest in care leavers and their experiences as parents and in the transition to parenthood.
We invite to this thematic group, researchers from multidisciplinary areas that explore the following topic (but not limited to them):
• The experiences of parenthood of care leavers
• The meaning and impacts of parenthood to care leavers’ lives
• The impact of care and institutionalization on parenthood of care leavers
• Parenting style and the attachment style of care leavers
• The wellbeing of the children of care leavers and the possible removal from home
• Effective interventions with care leavers as parents
We welcome any participants interested in the topic, if you either have a current study or are considering conducting one. We welcome all types of methodologies on this topic: qualitative, quantitative, mixed methods, etc.
The aims of the group are to:
• Provide a platform to share the members’ research, including their methods and results
• Generate opportunities to explore possible collaboration through writing and researching this topic
• Create new comparative data as a group about policies and practices to support care leavers
• Develop the field of research around the parenting of care leavers
To find out more about the group or to join, please contact Tehila Refaeli at firstname.lastname@example.org